Ben Harper - My Own Two Hands
Today we got THE CALL. Our referral of a beautiful four-year-old Ethiopian Princess.
Friday, while we were in Florida, the GA Director for CHI (Kathy) tried to contact us to get clarification on what age and number of children we were requesting. They had a possible referral for us.
Well, of course, we didn't get home and get the message until late in the evening on Sunday. So, that meant I got absolutely no sleep Sunday night. First thing Monday morning D and I called Kathy to let her know that we were most definitely interested in getting more information on a sweet little girl in the age range we were requesting.
Although, we had expected to get a referral for siblings, we had left our request open for either one girl or a set of siblings. But, when we learned that she was available, there was absolutely no hesitation on our part. Everything just seemed so right.
I took Monday off, completely hoping that our referral would come, but we got no return call. I was pretty disappointed, and had sort of assumed that maybe the little girl was no longer available. So, today I went to work as normal, but still hoped to receive that call.
Just as I was about to get my lunch, D called to say that Kathy had called him and that he was expecting to get our referral email any moment.
I, of course, started balling, let my boss know that I was outie, and drove like a mad woman to get home (crying and laughing all 40 miles).
D placated me and did not open the emails until I arrived. It was so amamzing to open those pictures and see her beautiful face. I think D and I just sat there staring at her pictures for like 10 minutes before we read through the rest of her info. When we finally did read through her info, it was really hard. I knew that no matter what, she would have a sad history and I really had tried to brace myself for it, but it floored me. It's hard to come to terms with young children dealing with so much heartache. Reading her background made my resolve so much stronger to be the best possibly mom I can to this beautiful child.
D and I, of course, will be accepting the referral of this sweet little girl, and we are excitedly waiting for all of the documentation to arrive tomorrow. I had hoped to be able to take some days off and begin getting things (her room) ready, but, unfortunately, I have too many meetings over the next couple of days. I do plan to take Friday off so that D and I can get our vaccinations and make a shopping trip out to Ikea (my most favorite store, ever).
I am also working on a compiled list of questions to send to the CHI Ethiopia Staff about our sweet little Princess and the next steps we will need to take to bring her home.
Oh and I have decided on a blog nickname for her. I chose to remain in the legume family and she shall henceforth be called SweetPea.
Staying Centered at Christmas
7 years ago


10 comments:
I am SO SO SO SO HAPPY for you!!I am definetly in tears,happy that she has this wonderful family to be with. Happy for you to be able to bring this princess into your family.Thank you for sharing this.I am so happy.
I am beyond thrilled for you guys. My heart was leaping out of my chest reading each word b/c your excitement, joy and love bursts from the page about your Sweet Pea. I, for one, cannot WAIT to meet her and she is just the perfect age for playdates with Max and Mimi and The Bean! Ah, you guys are all that and a phenomenal chocolate cake.
Cheers!
Woo hoo!! Congratulations!! I think this referral is so exciting to me because we've also requested a little girl about that age....until it's our turn, I can just live the excitement through you guys!!
Congratulations! That word doesn't really convey the emotion I'm feeling for you. YAY! doesn't really do it either. I am thrilled for you. It really was exciting to read this post, can't imagine what you must be feeling. I hope you get to go get her very soon.
We are so excited for you guys. I can only imagine what it is like to get THAT CALL!! I know little Sweet Pea is all you can think about. Enjoy the excitement!
Yay! Congratulations!!! Cute name - SweetPea! :)
Hurray! How exciting! Congratulations, and I hope your wait to bringing her home flies by.
(I think SweetPea is a great nickname :)
Congrats on your sweet pea!!! What wonderful news to have received your referral soon!!
I wish you the best in these next steps and look forward to keeping up with your journey.
Hey,Angela! Any new news on little one? Court date or anything?
oohhhh congratulations!!!!! that is SO exciting!!!!!
Post a Comment