Weezer- Island in the Sun The first time I typed this all up, I did something really stupid and accidentally deleted it. Since, I have not felt like doing it again, but I've received some nagging; so, here it is.
Through the Mon - Thurs while we were in Hawaii, I worked. It wasn't bad but I definitely worked longer hours than what I had planned. The facility was really cool, though, in a 1950's technology kind of way. It was perched up on a hill overlooking Sunset Beach, and several times a day, I saw whales way out in the ocean. Plus, it was really beautiful up there.
Friday, all that was left to do was give some training to the local staff and pack up our stuff that needed to be shipped. It only took a couple of hours, so D and I were free by 10 am. After watching LOST the night before, we decided to hike out to LOST Base Camp.
I was surprised that all of the stuff was still there. It was actually all over the place, and D is pretty certain that we stumbled accross Hurley's Dharma Initiative Ranch dressing jar (I'm not so certain, but it was a big jar.) We actually took the long way out there and passed some really cool older Japanese women who were fishing in Jin's fishing spot and pulling stuff right out of the water and eating it. I absolutely love the little lady with the winter hat on, she totally trumped the coolness of the other two (D snuck this shot.)
Then we went out to a Malaekahana State Recreation Area, which is just North of Laie. This was probably my favorite part of the trip, because we waded out to Mokuauia Island. It was amazing. We had to wade accross coral for about a quarter mile to the island. We did it at low tide and at the deepest part, it was only up to my waist (as long as I didn't slip between two peices of coral and scratch up my legs).
We were the only ones on the island, so we swam for a little while in a tiny little bay on the North West side. Then we walked along the edges of the island (the middle was roped off as a bird sanctuary). At the Eastern tip the waver that hit the island are HUGE! For anyone going out to Oahu, this is probably my top pick for things to do... It was getting late in the day by the time we got back to the car, so we just got some dinner and went back to the beach house.
Saturday, we packed up our stuff and headed over to Dole Plantation. It was okay, but we didn't really get to enjoy much of it because it was raining buckets outside and the place was super crowded. I wasn't terribly dissappointed; I'm allergic to pinapple. So, we decided to hit a couple of more areas we wanted to see. We grabbed some lunch, then drove up to the Pali Hwy lookout. It was soooo cool up there. You could see for ages, and all the views were really beautiful. It was however very misty, cold, wet, and windy... very windy. D and I had a blast just goofy off in the wind (and having a ton of Japanese tourists stare at us like we were batty).
We then decided to check out Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden. It was pretty cool, but D said it wasn't as good as Waimea Falls Park on the North Shore which I didn't get to see because they closed down for annual maintenance and cleaning...
Once we finished up there, it was time to head to the airport for more travel fun.
Staying Centered at Christmas
7 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment