Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Away Pooh Flies

Friday I was able to get to an ophthalmologist and after being seen by no less than three in the office, they all decided it was an allergy. They prescribed me this really greasy gel to put all over my eyelid and in my eye. It hadn't actually occurred to me that it was an allergy, because I normally have issues in both eyes... Anyway, it mostly cleared and I am no longer presenting the face of Quasimodo.

Saturday was spent helping Pooh pack to go back to Kentucky. The kid had accumulated quite a bit of crap since she was here. We went through all of her clothes and took out about half because she either didn't like them, or they were too small. So currently sitting in her room is a thigh high stack of size 3 clothing. I will take them to Good Will later...

That night I had to go to work for a major outage halfway across the world, and Pooh decided she wanted to go with me. It was pretty cute having her there. She read the most of the time, but she got really excited when she heard one my German colleagues on the conference call. She said she had never heard a German accent before (how???) and thought it was the coolest accent ever. I believe the term she used was "HOT" (I really hate the Paris Hilton use of that word.) So for the rest of the night she was all giggly about the German accent. I say lookout to any thirteen year old boys with German accents in Kentucky!

We got back home around 2 am on Sunday and went straight to bed.

Sunday we had to take Pooh to Birmingham, Alabama to catch her flight. We had attempted to get tickets for her out of Atlanta since we live less than 30 minutes from that airport, but the cheapest non-stop flight was $530. So instead, we got her a ticket out of Birmingham and it was only $110 for a non-stop flight on SouthWest Airlines. I love SouthWest!

Since Birmingham is 2 1/2 hours away we decided to make a day of it. We had planned to go to the zoo and to Vulcan Park. once we got there we were a little disappointed. We went first to Vulcan Park to see the Vulcan statue, which is listed as the #1 attraction in Birmingham. It was kind of silly looking. The Bean got out of the car, looked up at the statue and immediately decided that it's name should be "Big Butt Liberty". We walked and looked around, but decided not to go to the top of the statue because it did not appear to be worth the $6 per person (actually Money Miser D decided this. I was all for it, but it's hard to get an accountant to part with $24 if he has determined it is not worthwhile.)

top: The Bean with "Big Butt Liberty"
middle: Money Miser D with "Big Butt Liberty"
bottom: Pooh's fixed expression through-out the day

A pretty nasty thunderstorm began to roll through by this time, so we decided to just go to the airport to wait it out. We were only at the tiny airport for about 15 minutes when all of the electricity in the building went out. We later found out that a nearby transformer had been struck by lightning and their generators had failed (makes you feel safe, doesn't it?) Luckily, we had already made it through check-in and luggage drop, so all we did was play Uno and wait. The airport began to heat up pretty quickly and it was beginning to look as if they were not going to get the power back on. This was pretty frustrating, because it looked as if we were going to take Pooh back home and try again later in the week to fly her out (Pooh and I decided that this must be some Divine Intervention and we should take heed, D did not agree.) Pooh and I saw that the security line was starting to get long, so we decided that we should go ahead and get in it. D took The Bean out to the car to cool off (sad, huh?) and watch a movie on the portable DVD player. A couple of minutes after Pooh and I got into the security line, the power came back on and the line once again began moving. The Southwest portion of the terminal was a Mad House! Baltimore airport had gotten closed at some point in time early in the day, so a bunch of people were stuck in the Birmingham airport. The power outage had turned these people into hot, angry, and super smelly monsters. The airport smelled full of humanity. I have never been the recipient of so many glares in all my life. Miraculously enough, Pooh's flight was on-time and we both teared-up when it was time for her to board.

D, The Bean, and I were all very cranky the whole way home.

0 comments: