Monday, December 8, 2008

SweetPea four-eyes

Yep, she needs glasses.

I needed new glasses (I wear them for driving and when I'm tired), so I scheduled the whole family for an appointment.

The Bean and D did their eye examinations first. The Bean's eyes are perfect and she was super disappointed. She wants glasses so badly and always has. Last year some time, she even bought herself some clear lens glasses to wear around and play with (SweetPea recently broke them).

Her disappointment deepened when D suddenly needed glasses for the first time (I've been telling him for ages that he needed them... he's so stubborn, like a mule). The Bean was ticked.

So, needless to say when SweetPea and I were finished with our eye exams and it was determined that SweetPea really, really needed glasses, The Bean was infuriated. This kind of stuff happens often... I think it's the only child thing... I think six years is way too long to be an only child, and I also think D and I spoiled her like crazy when she was younger... So, I guess I kinda feel like Dr. Frankenstein when she becomes a super-stink in situations like this... we'll keep working on it.

I digress...

SweetPea could care less about getting glasses. In fact, through the whole ordeal she was way squirrely... touching everything, not sitting still, informing the optometrist that he needed to brush his teeth, getting into my purse, demanding to know why she was required to whisper (at the top of her lungs)... It was as if she was intentionally trying to annoy everyone in the place.

She was so rambunctious, that the optometrist advised that we really needed to get her the really flexible metal frames, because they are practically indestructible. We did pick her out some super cute blue framed glasses that will be in next week (I wish I had taken my camera). I think we are going to be in for a battle with these glasses.

D, trying to make the situation more annoying, decided to pick out serial killer glasses and wouldn't let any of the ladies in the office help him pick anything nicer. When I came out with SweetPea he was walking around with a pair of gold-metal frame large glasses with that metal bar that goes across the top (for support, I think). He looked ridiculous. The optometrist, whom I appreciate greatly, convinced him that he did not want to go around looking goofy all of the time (and believe me D would be happy to). So, D let me help him pick out some really nice/stylish frames.

I'm okay with the new frames I picked out for myself. Glasses are hard to fit for me... I have a wide face and a really skinny nose and most glasses are not designed for that combination. Oh well, I guess it means I have a unique facial structure; different is good, right... I think I heard that on a commercial...

3 comments:

Sam's mom said...

my husband eyes the serial killer frames often as well. I try to remind him that because he doesn't have three first names, he cannot purchase them. I fear for the day he goes to the optomitrist without me.

Amanda said...

hahahaha @ serial killer frames! hahahaahahah....

Ok, I'm sorry for the Bean, but tell her to give it time. I had perfect eyes when I was younger, too-and now I need glasses (though I hardly wear them).

I hope Sweet Pea keeps her glasses on and doesn't break them and I'm glad you found some you're ok with. My problem with finding frames is that I think my face is much thinner and cuter than it actually is. ha.

Chatter said...

This post cracked me up. Specifically the part about the serial killer glasses. My hubby wore his safety glasses for over 2 years while we dated in college because his regular glasses broke. LOL.

Thanks for sharing :)