Saturday, May 31, 2008

That show was really popular???

*Contains spoilers
When Sex and the City first came on TV, I was in the military and didn't have cable. I have never actually watched an episode. So, when a friend asked if I would go with her to see the movie, I really wasn't up for it. But... Mom Nard really hasn't gotten out since Baby Nard was born, so I thought 'what the heck'.

We went tonight on some free tickets that she had. I have to say I didn't get it. I have no idea how in the world that show was so popular. I do admit that I am a pretty big tomboy, so that probably makes the show less appealing to me, but, even channeling a little more estrogen, it still is beyond me.

I cringed through much of the movie. Not because of the massive sexual overtones (and undertones, and down-right male genitalia in your face, it was like watching porn with a bunch of giggly strangers, not my cup of tea) but because of the overt materialism. The whole movie was like one advertisement after another; from types of bottled water, to computers & cell phones, to designer clothing, jewels, and shoes.

I also have to say that I did not really enjoy the storyline, either. Okay, so Dude was overwhelmed by all of the ridiculous fanfare around the wedding and very sweetly was craving a more personal connection to his soon to be wife, would someone really not talk to him at all for 9 months??? Also, why was everyone harping on redheaded chick to go back to cheating man??? I mean, seriously, forgive him red-haired chick, but don't go back... And the big heartfelt scene that culminated in the giving of the Louis Vutton bag made me want to vomit... Oh, and what was up with the whole "my doctor said lots of women get pregnant after they adopt" (not an exact quote) from the not-so-bright-overly-happy brunette? That's crap!

Anyway, I have to admit, I did like the ending (well, at least the part where SJP & Dude got married by the justice of the peace.)
Obviously, I will not be discussing this one with the NASCAR fans at work...

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Everybody raved about this show. So popular-must be good, right?

(I should have known better).

I have a friend who was living with me for a few months a couple of years ago. She had the DVDs and I watched one episode.
One.

That was enough.

The thing that bothered me was that they were just annoying.
Sexuality doesn't bother me-I mean, I don't want to see my high schoolers doing it, it's more annoying than offensive....
but, the women talked about things that didn't at all interest me. They had "the world revolves around me" complexes and-I just don't get it.

If I wanted some of that, there are people I work with that I could hang out with.
ha.

At least the ending was worthwhile. :)

QB said...

So happy to know there are others out there, stuck between the NASCAR people and the SATC people.

Lindy Young said...

Oh well, good. I didn't want to see the movie, really, I just wanted to know how it all ends. For whatever it's worth, for me as a generally unmaterialistic and not-too-badly-self-centered person (who doesn't have a TV, so I didn't see too many of the shows, admittedly), the series had some truly funny and interesting themes -- there was a scene where SJP went to a party where they made everyone take off their shoes (b/c of germs), and then her $2,000 shoes got stolen. The hostess said she wouldn't give her $2K, that was a ridiculous price for shoes, she'd give her $500. To me this was interesting -- if you admit culpability (which she did by offering to pay for them, so just to carry on with that premise), can you pass judgement on what is a valid price for shoes? Some people might think $100 is too much, or $50 or ... whatever.

I don't even know you, I don't know why I'm writing all this, I had an extra five minutes today and apparently I don't want to take a shower today!

OK, I'm going to take a shower.