Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Big Flippin' Baby & Big Flippin' Contractions

I had my appointment with the High-Risk Specialist today and the fluid around the baby is still good (measured above 7cm today, YAY). They also did full measurements of Ben, and he is HUGE. I predicted that he would measure at 6lbs 2 oz, but he is actually 6lbs 14oz. Honestly, though, this shouldn't surprise me. Leigh was born at 36 weeks gestation and was 7lbs 10oz, so I guess Doug and I just make BIG babies. I think if I carry Ben full term he could be over 10lbs. GAH! I have to admit the idea of pushing out a 10lb baby scares the piss out of me, but the idea of Cesarian Birth scares me even more (thick blood + surgery has much greater potential of = death).

Besides all of that good news, leaving the doctor's office today I started getting pretty regular contractions. Since around noon today I have been getting strong contractions every 6 - 10 minutes without repreive. It is now 6:30 pm. I have contacted my regular OB doctor. They have advised that as long as Ben keeps moving (he's really active right now despite the contractions) and until the contractions get 4 to 5 minutes apart consistently, then I don't need to go to the hospital. I am trying all of the recommended crap to try to get the contractions to stop, but thus far I am still contracting. This pretty much sucks.

EDIT: Now that Ben is almost here, Doug has finally taken an interest in his middle name. He is still not happy with George, which irritates me. He would rather Ben have a more interesting middle name. His current suggestion is Mokuauia. Mokuauia (Goat Island) is a small island just off Malaekahana Bay on the North Shore of Oahu. Doug and I loved this little island when we were there in early '08... it was out favorite part of the whole trip. You can see pictures of the island here. I am not sure about using that as Ben's middle name (I still very much love George), but I am not totally opposed. My concerns on this middle name include: I am not completely sure of the pronunciation; also, it will make Ben's initials BMW which is cheesy. What do you think?

5 comments:

Sam's mom said...

Errr ummm, I still really like George. Not so sure on the island name.
Glad Ben is big. Big = healthy. Glad you didn't report anything yucky about your health. Really thinking about you so much these days Angela!
Hoping the contractions ease off so Ben can cook a bit longer.
Hoping all the problems disappear once Ben joins the world (although I know I've said that about 100 times already.)

Amanda said...

Ok, so I like George...but, setting that aside for a moment, I think naming him after Goat Island would be PERFECT. Really, I'm not biased at all.

You know, nobody here in Hawaii goes after their full name, right?! They all have nicknames which usually consists of the first section of their name (I think they stop when they hit the tenth vowel). That said, what about Moku?

Benjamin Moku Wheeler.
That's got a ring to it. :)

Amanda said...

And, FYI-"Moku" means "island", not "goat". Thought you may want to know that.

Justine said...

Great job, mama. You sound as though you are hanging in there pretty well despite all the crazy ups and downs. You are making me think adoption is a piece of cake! Love the name George - super cute. But... I do think middle names should have lots of meaning because what else are they good for, right? Sorry, I am no help.

Annie said...

what a wild ride it's been...how are you holding up? We look forward to hearing all about Ben's arrival :)